Thursday, August 16, 2007

Some of the local kids - they love having their picture taken and seeing it come up on the screen
Inter Island Rugby Tournament
Weaving with the ladies
Berry tries to chuck me off the island summit!
The island of Waya LaiLai resort
Beach Volleyball
Traditional Kava Session


Fiji.. WOW!

Gorgeous and full of culture. The people are so friendly and cheeky and funny and welcoming and just lovely.
I spent my time on the island of Waya LaiLai except for one night on the mainland and one on the island of Waya.
Waya LaiLai is a fully Fijian owned island so you can immerse yourself in the culture and know that every dollar u spend is going straight to the villages or back into the resort itself.
Everyone knows your name from the first 5 mins of you being there.. and everyone comes to talk to you and shouts hi as you walk past. Its amazing.
The dancing and plays they put on in the evening was brilliant
They got us playing games and dancing the bula. I was even crowned the bula Queen and got free beer!
We tried Kava.. which makes your tongue go numb and mellows u right out if u drink enough of it. It'd their traditional narcotic.. lol.
I learnt to weave bracelets.. I hiked with berry (who asked me never to leave and promised to pick me up from the airport and show me his hometown if i go back! lol) up to the summit of the island.
The kids were amazing and So intrigued by technology.. i lent them my zen (mp4 player) and they just loved it.
Played volleyball and touch rugby on the beach and all the locals and visitors get involved.
Lucky for me, while I was there they had an inter island rugby match which was amazing to watch.. it was THE most violent game I have ever seen and one guy dislocated his shoulder! Eugh... still it was great to be able to see them play.
They took us to their church ina boat on the Sunday and the main village was very accomodating. I can't believe how friendly they all were.
The other travellers I met where fantastic too, especially Dan and Rachel who I spent most of my time with - they got married in May and are travelling for 10 months as an extended honeymoon. How awesome is that?!
We had some hilarious nights playing poker with beer tops and 'the magic straw'
Sad to leave Fiji but so excited about seeing Uncle Jamie, Auntie Lisa, Lawrence and Orrin.. BRING ON USA!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home